Boat Owners Checklist part 1
We’re all about keeping you safe on the water. With the improved weather, more and more people are wanting to get out on their boats, but you need to make sure that your vessel is in good condition before you set sail. The guys at Islands Insurance have put together some great advice, which we’d like to share with you all.
Follow the Boat Owners checklist series here.
Part 1: Deck and Fittings
Before starting her up, you need to make sure that any minor scratches are repaired, along with anti-foul and skin fitting (unless bronze, they have a shelf-life of 6 years). Change the oil, ensuring it’s at the right level, and be sure to fill her tank with only the freshest and highest-quality fuel available.
Check the following:
- Integrity of stanchion, pulpits and lifelines
- Ground tackle, fenders and lines etc.
- Chainplates and cleats
- Check deck and hull joints
- Inspect windows and deck for any leaks
- Inspect anchor windlass and lubricate
- Clean and grease winches
- Check and lubricate blocks, pad eyes, etc
- Lights and lighting fixtures (including navigation lights) for leaks, make sure they’re working and that you have spare bulbs and fuses
- The engine compartment for excess water or oil in the bilges
- The battery is properly secured to the vessel
- For electrical issues such as loose, disconnected or corroded conductors/anodes
- Fuel tank for leaks, and ensure there is proper ventilation
- The fuel filters to make sure no water is present
- Pipes for wear and damage
- Propellers, and make sure they’re balanced correctly
- Seacocks (test and lubricate)
- Limber holes (and clear any debris)
- All hoses and clamps, and make sure below waterline hoses are double clamped
- Bilges pumps for automatic and manual operation
#JLA #lifeboat #jerseychannelislands #keepingeveryonesafe #yourboat
Bingo night 28/10/2021
Join us for some family fun at Trinity Parish Hall on Thursday 28th October. Entrance fee £2 and raffle will be held on the night. Arrive 7pm for a 7.30 start.
Fundraising stall 20/11/2021
Our lovely fundraising team will be out (hopefully) enjoying the sunshine. Come and see us on our JLA stall, which will be packed full of goodies for you.